Urban Synergy’s Role Model Seminar 2018
Urban Synergy’s ‘Tips to the Top’ Role Model seminar is one of the highlights of the academic year at Christ the King. The annual cross-site event, which features panel discussions and speed mentoring sessions, inspires confidence in our students and gives them an opportunity to interact with leading industry professionals.
Discussions of this kind not only broaden student horizons but also provide a valuable insight into the qualities of academic and professional success. The mentoring programmes and inspirational seminars organised by the charity provide support, guidance and encouragement for young people, and motivate them to achieve their best.
This year Christ the King was fortunate enough to welcome the following guest speakers to the panel:
- Andrew Cole, Retired International Footballer
- Oliver Adebayo, Trainee Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Troy Von Scheibner – Magician & TV Personality (CTK alumnus)
- David Olusegun – CEO, Black Diamond Records (CTK alumnus)
- Natalie Scott – Fashion Stylist (CTK alumnus)
The evening opened with an introductory session, in which the panel discussed their personal journeys and outlined the steps they have taken to get to where they are today. This was followed by an insightful Q&A session, in which students addressed personal questions to members of the panel.
Professionals from banking, medicine, technology, fashion, politics, construction, law, teaching and research based professions then took part in a speed mentoring session which comprised a string of five minute talks with small groups of students. We were delighted that among these professional were another three CTK alumni:
- Seni Fawehinmi: New Business Development Manager – Thomson Reuters
- Jeff Perkins: Executive Director – Storyful
- Charisma Jones: Solicitor – Lime TV
CTK students left the event feeling both inspired and motivated about their future potential!
- Dwayne ST MARY'S Course: A Level History, Spanish, Maths
“I'm aiming to study Computer Science at the University of Sheffield. At CTK all students are equally as motivated to do well, it's a good environment to be in. Teachers really try their hardest to make sure that their students achieve what they are capable of and ensure you get the best grades possible.”
- Ella Mae ST MARY'S Grades achieved: A A B A Course: A Level Law Level Psychology A Level Sociology Extended Project
“What I enjoyed about CTK was meeting students from different backgrounds and sharing a desire to succeed. As an Advanced Graduate Programme student, I was given the motivation and confidence to work to the best of my ability. ”
- Samad ST MARY'S Course: A Level Media, English Literature and Language and French
“I have really enjoyed my course trips. Also, knowing that everyone else is starting Sixth Form at the same time as you, makes meeting new people and fitting in a lot easier and fun. My teachers have helped me overcome my fear of interacting during class discussions. They encouraged me to participate by giving presentations to the whole class, which boosted my confidence. Teachers will motivate you to achieve the best of your ability.”
- Oluwafoluhanmi ST MARY'S Course: A Level Biology, Chemistry and PE
“Although studying A Levels can be challenging, my teachers make my lessons enjoyable and easier to understand. The teachers at CTK are really friendly and are more than happy to help. I hope to go on to study Physiotherapy at University.”
- Alice ST MARY'S Grades achieved: D*D*D* Course: BTEC Sport and Exercise Science Level 3
“I'm going to St Mary's University, Twickenham to study Sport Science. My BTEC course was unique. The pastoral support at CTK was excellent and the extra support from teachers helped me stay on track. I would recommend CTK because of the support that staff give students”